Friday, October 17, 2008

Changing Colors

Fall is officially here; okay maybe it has been for a few weeks, but I'm way behind on the blog so indulge me. One of the things I love most about living in Utah is the changing seasons and diversity. I love that we have the snow capped mountains in the north and the red rock arches in the south. I love that I get to enjoy the hot steamy days of summer, the mild chill of the fall, the cold wintery winter and the refreshing, beauty of spring. I'm not saying that I love all of those days every day; I have my days where it is just too darn hot or cold, but overall, I do love it!

I don't know how long my family will get to stay in Utah; having a New Yorker for a husband means that we feel a certain tug toward other corners of the U.S., but for now we are happy here. Michael's career is blossoming; he has finally settled into something he really enjoys. He wakes up everyday happy to go to work and when I talk to him throughout the day he still sounds happy. I'm thrilled that he has finally found that in a job! We also enjoy having family close; something that has been a real blessing this year. As for me, having Moira in Kindergarten this year has made me realize that stay-at-home moms/dads are really beneficial and more than ever I'm feeling that tug. Having been a working mom up until now, I see so many benefits to having had them in daycare; my children are social, independent, polite and secure, but perhaps it's time for a change. They will always be social, independent, polite and secure because they get that at home too, but it would be nice to be able to focus on homework and doing things with mommy. Children grow up way to fast as it is and I don't want to look back one day and realize I missed it because I was too busy.

This stressful year has taken it's toll on me and though I appear to have handled it well (and mostly I think I really have), I can feel parts of me cracking under the pressure. I know that some of my coping strategies aren't very good ones, I've needed to address some of them since college. They didn't work then, lol, I'm not sure why I thought they would now. I'm feeling the need to simplify and concentrate on getting back to who I really am, because I don't feel like I'm me right now. Thankfully, I have a family that are helping to keep me grounded and I have never lost sight of what is important, but a little simplicity sounds wonderfully refreshing!

Here's to fall foliage and some much needed simplicity!

3 comments:

Ritch in Love said...

Thought of you often, lately. If you need to talk...call me. You should have my number...if you don't email me. :)

Ritch in Love said...

Hey! I tagged you, drop by my blog to see how to play!

Chrystal said...

Amen - beautiful sentiments.

The Family

The Family
Summer 2008